Category: Appeals

What can an individual do if he or she disagrees with the determination?

If an individual disagrees with the initial determination in the case, he or she may appeal it. The first administrative appeal is a reconsideration.  At the reconsideration appeal level, generally the  case is reviewed at the State level by an adjudicative team that was not involved in the original determination. If dissatisfied with the reconsideration [..]

Read More

When do disability benefits start?

Disability benefits for workers and widows usually cannot begin for 5 months after the established onset of the disability. Therefore, Social Security disability benefits will be paid for the sixth full month after the date the disability began. The 5-month waiting period does not apply to individuals filing as children of workers. Under SSI, disability [..]

Read More